Extracurricular Activities

I veered off topic from the bathroom a bit over this past week. One day I spent about 7 hours helping a friend whose house was slated for demolition the following day. He wanted to save a few items for the granny house he intends to build, and he had a bunch of glass blocks I wanted for myself. It was back-breaking work, but we salvaged the blocks, two bathroom vanities, all the good interior doors, several cabinets (kitchen and laundry room), and some of the window treatments. We worked so late that he had to pull cars around and shine headlights through the windows. There was a lot more I wish we could have salvaged, since we both hate seeing good things end up in the landfill, but we had a very small window of time so we did the best we could.


I came away with 24 beautiful, fully intact glass blocks that I'm thinking of using when I renovate my shower. The plan would be to put them in the wall facing the backyard, bringing in a lot of light!

Day-before-yesterday I helped another friend. She and her husband own a rental house they've been renovating for the past few weeks. Well, now the renters are moving in and they can't use the kitchen sink, the stove, nor the front bathroom shower! While her husband worked on the sink, I tore out the shower doors and their bent frame, removed all the old, yucky caulk, cleaned everything with alcohol, then installed the new fame, doors and caulk.


Once again I failed to take a "before" shot, but afterward everything was beautiful. Very clean and fresh. I had never installed one of these before, so this was great practice for when I'm ready to do my own!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are my DIY Goddess. I bow to you.