Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust



I've been composting for a couple of years now. All my eggshells, coffee grounds, and other kitchen scraps go into the bin I keep on the counter. Used Swiffer Duster pads, used up (many times) Bounce dryer sheets, dryer lint, and even used Kleenexes go in, as does all of my shredded paper and leaves from the garden. When the bin fills up, it goes into the compost pile. When we remember to do so, we turn and, if necessary, wet down the compost.

All of this has become second nature to me. My compost pile is home to zillions (yes, zillions) of wiggly, fat worms. It produces beautiful, rich, black dirt. I only have one problem. I've filled the bin. And if I keep adding new stuff, we don't get to use the final product because it's mixed up with new scraps.

Today I threw kitchen scraps in the garbage. The garbage that ends up at the curb on Monday nights and gets picked up by the big, loud truck the next morning and schlepped to the landfill.

It was a little bit traumatic.

I need a second bin.

2 comments:

Jo-El said...

Why don't you use what you've made and free up some space?

mossum said...

Cuz it has new scraps in it, which you already know from having read the blog very carefully.