New food (2009 Challenge)

You're now in love with Lebanese food and you didn't even know what it was in January of this year.

While in Van Nuys visiting my Armenian cousin, she and her husband took us to an Armenian-owned market. Wow - I was in heaven! We just don't have enough of an Armenian population in Sacramento to have a really good selection of Armenian restaurants or markets. We bought a bottle of Raki, a tray of paklava, and some sujukh (the sweet kind).


The sujukh we bought consisted of walnuts threaded on a string, then dipped in thick grape syrup. The consistency is like a thick fruit roll-up. You can see sujukh on the right in his photo. Looks rather majestic hanging like that, doesn't it? Well the package we bought looked kind of like logs of poo. Steve, my 55 year old 9 year old, had no end of poo-related comments to make. I just ignored him and reveled in its not-too-sweet taste, chewy consistency, and, of course, the cellular memory thrill I always feel when reveling in my culture.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love sujukh. Narine's mother-in-law brought me some that was dipped in chocolate. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.